Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thinking is Always Based in the Past or the Future

We spend our days thinking.  But rarely do we realize that this activity always relates either to the past or the future, even if it is the immediate past or the immediate future.  To ponder this idea feels strange to most of us.  However, it is accurate.  And, all stress comes from thinking because this action makes us aware of the discrepancy between what we expect and what is. 

The reason for contemplating the concept that we spend most of our time in the past and the future is that by doing so we can become aware that we almost never spend time in the present.  And, it is the present that is important; it is what we claim to value to get the most from living.  We want to enjoy our life but if we are never present, how is this accomplished?

The answer is mindfulness; the intentional choice to be aware of the present moment without judgment or evaluation.  

Copyright 2011 Lynn Borenius Brown


OnlineandTelephjoneCounseling.com

10 comments:

  1. The present is indeed a gift that one has to accept in order to unwrap!
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by - and for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally true. Before I make a decision on something, I think of whether I have made the best decision in the past or if I should make it better by choosing another path. But this leads me to making decisions way slower than impulse decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia, Slow is not bad. Congrats on thinking through decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is good to see posts that give truly quality information. Your tips are extremely valuable. Thanks a lot for writing this post and sharing it. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete