Saturday, February 19, 2011

Problem Solving Skills, Part 1

Although each day we are faced with the need to solve problems, few of us have ever had the opportunity to actually learn how to effectively do this.  And, the result is usually frustration, anger, and stress.  So, let’s take a bit of time to gain understanding of what is involved in solving problems.  First, the four steps in this process are:

Identify the problem - Few of us actually take time to identify what the problem is.  We are usually in such a hurry to make the problem disappear because we become uncomfortable as soon as a problem arises.  Therefore, first take the time to determine what is actually happening, exactly what the problem is.

Desired outcome - Since we are usually in a hurry to make the problem go away, we don’t even care what the outcome is except that we want there to no longer be a problem.  We don’t think about what it is we want to happen, just what we don’t want to happen.  Therefore, it is important to determine what you want the outcome to be.

Options - We tend to stop looking at solutions as soon as we come up with one.  The issue is that the chances of this one solution being the best are low.  So, give yourself time to brainstorm, to come up with many options.

Action - In order to make the problem go away, we take action, any action.  We are not particularly concerned about the repercussions.  We just want the whole thing to disappear.  Another reaction to problems is to avoid taking action due to being unsure regarding which action is best.  So then nothing happens.  It is important to assess the options you have come up with and determine which one is best.  Then act on it.

This week, notice how you have been addressing problems and use these four steps to begin becoming more effective.  You’ll find you feel more relaxed, confident, and successful!

Copyright 2011 Lynn Borenius Brown


OnlineandTelephoneCounseling.com

6 comments:

  1. Great article!
    Just treading through this (and I know the concept in a logical sense) I found myself relating to how I spend far too much energy trying to force the problem away instead of doing what you say here.
    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marty - my pleasure! Becoming comfortable with discomfort is a skill most of us could improve. I choose to view problems as opportunities. Doing so, seems to make the situation less disconcerting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Problems as opportunities sounds so cliche to me, but with more information on how to handle and things to consider it seems more realistic. Personally, I am very uncomfortable with discomfort--in a big way. These skills provide a great road map on how problems could actually become positive opportunities by my thought process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oakleaf - I believe you are in the majority regarding your discomfort with discomfort! However, by viewing problems as signs of needed change, they take on a different purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I read this the more it makes sense to me.
    I was skipping the whole section of desired outcome going to options. My discomfort, I can see, will be better served by me figuring out not just the problematic situation but what it is that I would like to have happen. To just identitfy and make it go away is an outcome decision based on fear. Desired outcome really adds a new dimension and some responsibility. By addressing a problem as a situation which needs change, it seems you move yourself naturally to what is the change or end result I am aspiring to in a positive rather than negative way. Thanks! Oh yea, I forgot I can listen to this blog teaching also. Love that!

    ReplyDelete