Saturday, January 15, 2011

Integrity

The word, integrity, comes from the Latin, integer, which means whole.  Therefore, integrity is having a unified vision of self, a long-range view of who you are, where you are going, and where you want to end up as a person. 

Addressing the following incomplete sentence, the statement, as well as the two questions will take you closer to becoming an integrated individual.

When you reflect on the qualities of those you admire, you are holding up a mirror to yourself, discovering who you want to be.  So, I’ve always admired people who

You are an inherently powerful person who is always making a difference (whether you realize it or not).  Your existence in this world automatically makes you have an impact on those around you.  Never devalue your ability to be a catalyst for others!  So, name three times during the last week or month that you made a difference to someone or something.

You are a talented, skilled, influential person who is unlike anyone else on this earth.  The experiences you have had allow you to bring something special and important to everything you do and everyone with whom you come into contact.  Take some time to determine what it is you bring to everything you do as a result of being who you are.  So, how can I bring who I am to what I do?

At the end of each workday you want to be able to look in to the mirror and see a person who has given of him/herself to the world in a way that brings a sense of accomplishment and honor.  So, what type of work will allow this to happen?

Copyright 2011 Lynn Borenius Brown


OnlineandTelephoneCounseling.com

13 comments:

  1. Usually when I think of this word--honesty and moral issues come to mind. I see the definition that you used is considered a secondary one in the dictionary, but surely one I had not heard of with regards to this word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right - integrity is not usually thought about from this perspective. But to be whole, not fragmented, is important for psychological well-being. Hope the concept is useful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am fully agree with your concept about integrity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment. Having a unified sense of self helps makes life choices a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not thought about integrity in terms of making life choices a bit easier. Now that is definitely a plus. Reading the second sentence of this teaching--wow--that is a tall order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think most of us forgot that we are influencing people on a regular basis whether we are aware of it or not.

    I'm sure a stranger has made a difference in your life without that individual being aware of your existence - even if it was only minor (what to wear, etc.) or as important as reinforcing or altering a value you have.

    I have a saying I suggest people ask themselves regularly throughout the day, "I'm always being someone, who is it now?". By reminding ourselves that we're never invisible; that we are being seen and heard and, therefore, influencing, we tend to choose more carefully and also begin having more respect for the power our uniqueness offers others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. call Pakistan

    This has been a very significant blog indeed. I've acquired a lot of helpful information from your article. Thank you for sharing such relevant topic with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that idea and am going to implement that question in my day.
    Also I am thinking integrity may be a word that is sometimes used just because it sounds good.
    This adds a--no pun intended-- "whole" new slant. It seems like it requires more responsibility of us as individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At the core of what I believe and teach in personal growth is the concept of each individual's responsibility for him/herself and all the thoughts, words, and deeds of living. With self-responsibility comes self-empowerment. So, by being responsible for myself, I also have a lot of power to make happen in my life what I desire. And, to me, this is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always admired people who know themselves enough to know what they want in life and how to get what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your comment. The way to become that person is to take time to invest in learning about yourself. I'm hoping my blog is providing this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When challenged to operate in a way I didn't agree with some years ago in a job I had, I clearly remember saying "Whatever happens out of this I WILL retain my integrity". I was moved on a few weeks later and took a redundancy (rather than dismissal that they tried to push for). I left somewhat hurt, but with my integrity in place and an appropriate reference. Bottom line is, I believe they respected my position. The stress I experienced was not all my fault. My former employers seemed to silently accept their responsibility in what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To remain true to who we are and what we stand for and believe in is crucial to internal peace and the freedom this brings. For me, it is important at the end of the day to be able to look in the mirror and feel good about who is looking back at me. Congratulations on maintaining your sense of self!

    ReplyDelete