Saturday, January 1, 2011

Identity and Recognition

Who you are refers to your value as a person apart from any role you play in life.  And, your value as a person is enhanced by your unique characteristics.

Who you are – that is, who you see yourself as being – is at the heart of your identity.  It is the foundation upon which all of your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are built.  The description you give of yourself determines who the world will see.

Below are words that can be used to describe who you are.  Using words from this list and/or words you think of on your own, choose those that describe who you are as a person - that identify you.

Alert   Caring   Confident   Cool   Content   Creative   Curious   Dedicated   Expressive   Intuitive   Laid-back   Logical   Loyal   Natural   Non-judgmental   Nurturing   Social   Warm

Once you have made the list of words that describe you, incorporate these words when answering the following three questions:

1.       What do I want to be recognized and respected for?
2.      How do I define success?
3.      How do I want others to see me?

When you complete this exercise, you will have a better idea of whom you are – how you want to be identified – and you will have begun to think about how you want others to see you.

Copyright 2011 Lynn Borenius Brown


OnlineandTelephoneCounseling.com

2 comments:

  1. I understand the importance of discerning whom I want to be and am.But I am not sure why it is important to know about how others see me. Or is that the benchmark of how I am achieving my ambitions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. Sometimes there is a discrepancy between what we believe we are being and how others see it. This disconnect can cause confusion when dealing with others. The reasons for this are many. And I'll be addressing Cultural Norms on March 12 - this topic will assist you in understanding how easily this difficulty in relating to others can be. Being true to self is significantly important but because we live in societies, how others see this true self matters.

    ReplyDelete